Tonight marks night 8 of this PICU journey. Jakobe continues to struggle with excessive secretions. 2 bacterial infections are confirmed to be the cause of the excessive secretions coupled with the increased post-operation secretions. It is still undetermined what antibiotics will be effective against these bacteria strains. The medicine keeps changing and the treatment plan continues to be adjusted.
The excessive secretions that comes with post-operation and fighting the 2 bacterial infections has compromised and delayed the healing of Jakobe's stoma site. Therefore, we will be in PICU until both battles are won. That is, bacterial infection cleared and stoma site healed. At a minimum, will be here until ENT, Pulminology, and us feel we can fight the battle and win the entire war at home. Thus when I asked when discharge might be, we were told "who knows at this point."
Jakobe has been a trooper thus far. However, his patience with being poked, prodded and nebbed countless times per day is wearing thin. All the while hooked to wires and confined to his room. We are very proud of him.
Heidi, Jakobe, and I give thanks for your prayers and good thoughts for healing and endurance.